We have all been there. The food has just been delivered and it looks great. Suddenly you realize there are no forks on the table, and the waitress is no where to be found. So you get up to see if you can find a fork of your own, but you pass by the exit and notice that your waitress is out having a cigarette. Shouldn’t she have checked with us before heading on break? Ugh. Check out these Must NOT Do’s for Waiters and Waitresses.
- Take a break right after you have served your customers. It is important to check with your customers within 3 minutes after they receive their food to make sure everything is cooked correctly or if they need anything else like ketchup.
- Ignore your table or be obsessively attentive. You want to keep an eye on your table to make sure that they’re not trying to get your attention and they need something. If you are serving the next table and you walk by your table, make sure you at least glance at them to make sure they’re not trying to get your attention. It is always a surprise to me when our waitress walks right by my table and does not even look our way.
- Share your bad mood with your customers. No complaining allowed. Don’t whine about your situation, maybe being a divorced mom of three working two jobs, etc. Be extra friendly and less personal at the exact same time.
- Leave your customers without something to drink with their food. Keep a close eye on those drinks as they are eating their food to see if they need drink refills.
- Tell you customers you will be back in a minute and then don’t, because there is nothing worse than telling somebody you’ll be back in a couple of minutes and show up 10 minutes later.
- Take everything personally. You may think you have done an excellent job for one customer and receive a very small tip, but just shrug it off until blended impact your attitude as you’re serving your other customers, as it may have unintended consequences of negatively impacting subsequent tips.
Not to be negative, but we have a great article in this same blog on the top 10 tips to make sure you get better tips. Its worth a read.
IMAGE NOTE: The image is from the Condom Restaurant located somewhere in Europe.